Monday, August 19, 2013

I'm TRYING to be a Good Diabetic

This time I really am. I went to the diabetic educator last Wednesday. I knew that I was going to get a "talking to". The lady that I see, she is very nice, but direct. She will not tell me, you have to do this. She will just show me what will happen to me if I do not get my blood sugars under control. I have seen the things that she showed me before. When I went with Chris. After his appointments, I would ride him on what she said. Funny how when it's happening to you, it can all go in one ear and out the other. To say that I was in denial would be putting it lightly. I still wanted to eat as much cereal as I had been. I LOVE cereal and could eat it for every meal, no kidding

                           It's easy and I am lazy. 

Chris got this diet book in the mail from a co-worker and now his is crazy about it. So we have been kinda following that. What I mean by that is, when Chris first got the book he skipped through found the foods to avoid and the foods to eat. I wrote that list down and that is what we have been trying to follow. We shop the perimeter, for the most part. We still need to go into the pickle aisle for Avery, and I like to pick up black olives. I have also been trying to eat foods that are gluten-free. Not because I need to, just because I feel better when I do. I have family and friends that have to be gluten-free.  Why not try to have things here for them to eat? Do you know how many things have gluten in them? Oh my gosh. Well that's for another blog post. 

So now the plan for me is to check my blood sugars every morning when I get up. Eat within the first half an hour then check it again two hours later. I can eat every 4-5 hours. I have to check my blood sugars before eating then two hours later. Just like in the morning. I need to do this for a week. Three meals two snacks. I need to stay 10 carbs or less everyday. (15 grams = 1 carb) I also need to get back to the gym. This summer has been hard on me! It's not the holidays that do me in, it's the summer. I have no where I HAVE to go, so I don't. I don't get up and take a shower right away. I stay up way to late so do the girls. Then we do not get up until late. This is one of the many reasons I would not be able to home school. I need that place I have to be. 

Long story short, I have been doing much better. My blood sugars have been lower. Not as low as they should be, so I will be calling my Dr. in a couple of days. Today I have plans to go to the gym. I have a great group of ladies around me that know what I am going through and support me. I could not do it without them. 





1 comment:

  1. You can do this Kim! Plus I think with school starting it will be a great way to get back into a routine and have a little extra time in your day to plan workouts and meals :)
    AND you can come here to the track with me!!! Whee!

    ReplyDelete