Thursday, February 13, 2014

French Onion Soup

I do not like french onion soup. 
I have found out that I LOVE french onion soup. 
Get this, no one else I live with likes it so I don't have to share!!! 
(insert happy dance here!)  

Here it is: 
I think that I left it in the broiler a little to long. :( 
OR I didn't add enough cheese to the top. 
Yes I think I will go with that. Not enough cheese!!

This is what you will need:
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
5 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used WildTree!)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
64 ounces of beef stock-low sodium (or 8 cubes) 
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
french bread
Mozzarella cheese 
     (I know I know it's not what you use, it's what I had!!) 

I have been checking out other recipes and another girl put in beer! Now that's something I might have to do next time. 8-12 ounces. 

To cook: Use soup pot over medium heat, add onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, balsamic and pepper. Mix until combined. Let it cook until the onions turn a caramel color, remember to stir occasionally. Add in the flour and stir until mixed again. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Add in the beef stock and bring to a boil. Now if you only have the cubes. Follow directions on the jar to make the stock. Turn the heat down and let it simmer. I will make this in the morning then let it simmer until lunch time. By then I can not handle it anymore and I have to eat it!! 

Before I do though I add the soup to a oven safe bowl cut up my french bread place that on top and add cheese! I turn my boiler on then on a cookie sheet I place my bowl. Keep your eye on it, the cheese on top will melt pretty quickly. 2-3 minutes. 





No comments:

Post a Comment