Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Blue Eyeshaow Story

I have no idea how old I was when this happened, maybe sixth grade. I was friends with a girl named, Jen. She had come over to my grandparents house and we were just hanging out. We got bored, like most kids our age so we decided to go to Gungler's. All my friends from Gurnee, IL will remember that place. It was the corner store that had a little bit of everything. You could get your prescriptions there, pay bills, get light bulbs, pick up a last minute gift and of course candy!! Well and make up. Both of us were to younger to wear it but it was fun to look at all the different colors. This was around the time that Debbie Gibson's song Electric Youth as very popular. Gungler's just happened to have a blue eyeshadow, Electric Blue. It was so cool! I think Jen and I bought some candy and left the store. That's when she showed me that she stole some make-up. I was so surprised, but I told her to go back in a get me the electric blue eyeshadow. She did and we left. Once we got back to my house, she went home shortly after that. I started to feel very guilty. So instead of going back to the store to give it back I threw it away without even trying any of it on. Fast forward to a few days later. Every morning my Gram would take a shower and go down and have breakfast. She would come back upstairs and wake us up. While we were getting dressed she would finish getting ready and put her make up on. She had all of her make up in this turquoise silverware tray. It would be in the bathroom until she put it on and then she would put it back in the linen closet. Well this day happened to be no different, I went to the bathroom, there is her tray, but wait there was something new added to it. One electric blue eyeshadow!! She must have found it in the trash, noticed that it hadn't even been used and put it in there. So now everyday I got to see that blue eyeshadow and remember what I did. It wasn't that it was in there for a couple of months, it was longer. It had to be a couple of years, AND she never did use it!! This is why to this day, I will never steal anything again. My Gram might not have known what I did but she sure made me not want to ever do it again. She pasted away in 1994 and I still miss her. She would have been 82 years old today.  She will forever be the lady that I look up to for fashion and her sense of humor.
                                I love you Gram!!



No comments:

Post a Comment